• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • 180 degree opening mechanism

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by _Maniac_, Mar 27, 2015.

1. _Maniac_

_Maniac_ Member

hm... could be a solution, but then you'll have constant collision between upper parts while opening/closing... it must be some system with "rigid" center of rotation...

btw nice video... thank you... maybe will be useful in future :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    3. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

No problem - although collision can be avoided through the careful calculation of the length of the strip and a custom made profile of the strip with two 'weak' points that will deform more readily than the rest of the plastic.
      Alternatively, I'd suggest that you alter the orientation of your wooden lattices from horizontal to vertical and simply have them interlaced at the folding points, with a continuous hinge bar inter-connecting them. That's about all I've got really...:)

4. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

Hi Maniac,

You might not like the price of the hinge you have posted a link to below
      http://www.downwindmarine.com/images/P/105299.jpg
      - but I have got one of these hinges on my computer chair (and it has a clamp lever which applies pressure to the stack of plates) - in order to provide a brake. Sounds good in practice - but in reality I am forever adjusting the clamping mechanism - maybe every 2 or 3 weeks:(

I would maybe have a review of your design - because as I said in my earlier postings - it is always worth while taking a very critical look at what your competitors are doing - and asking yourself - is your design really better - is this really progress.
      With your competitor sun-loungers - you don't need to get off them in some case in order to adjust them - which you will have to do with your design.
      Be very critical of your own ideas - because if you are not - your customers certainly will be. It might be worth getting 20 "experienced" customers to try out your prototype for a day - to see what each customer thinks of your prototype. Listen to the ones who are critical of your design - and try to understand why they are critical.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    5. _Maniac_

_Maniac_ Member

Thank you for advice... I checked almost everything that competitors did... and i know that this design has few drawbacks, but I think that it has even more advantages...

well... i have to finish this lounger till wednesday and then we'll do some crucial tests...