• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • invisible jet

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Seaton, May 2, 2013.

1. Steven Elliott

Steven Elliott New Member

Karl, I'd say this topic deserves some snark.

There are people working on a sort of invisibility; currently with respect to microwave radiation, but they hope some day to apply it to the visible spectrum. But they don't cast around for ideas in a forum, with just a vague "Hey guys, anyone know how I can make a jet invisible?" And actually, aircraft are the last things invisibility would be applied to -- it's much more important to mask their radar and heat signatures. Visibly, they'd still be given away by contrails.

So, yeah, this is a silly topic, open to ridicule.

Seaton, my advice: Check Wonder Woman's garage.

3. bluerover

bluerover Member

Of course taking the concept (?) of jet to its most basic a jet of superheated steam is invisible. Any individual passing through the jet would become aware of its presence only by the severance of body parts passing through the jet. This was understood in the days of steamships and corn brooms were provided in areas of potential leaks to scan for any that may have caused personal harm.

4. Lemuel

Lemuel New Member

Karl,

In regard to Copernicus - his theory was well received by well educated individuals; including members of the Catholic church. It wasn't until long after his death that his work was considered controversial. You may be confusing him with Galileo, who did have some difficulties with acceptance of his theories during his life.

In regard to the Wright brothers - as Michael Ross noted, they were working with physical principles which were reasonably well understood. Again, well educated people had no difficulty accepting the idea that man might achieve powered flight. Even uneducated persons had no difficulty with the concept of heavier-than-air flight since there were numerous examples of this in nature. The only question was whether or not man would be able to achieve it.

Still, I do see your point. If it weren't for some wacky ideas we wouldn't have some of the wonderful inventions we take for granted today. Which is why I tried to point out some of the difficulties involved rather than suggesting Seaton write to DC comics to ask how Wonder Woman made her plane invisible. :)

I imagine Seaton's idea for chemical camouflage may have been inspired by a chameleon's ability to change its color to mimic the surrounding environment. There are also other species of plants and animals which use chemicals to fool predators or prey, but none of them are perfect. Even supposing an aircraft's skin could be infused with artificial chromophores that could be programed to mimic the local environment, there would still be serious limitations on its effectiveness.

As I mentioned previously, trying to hide a stationary object from multiple sight lines is extremely challenging. The object would have to be completely covered and its shape disguised. You can't just take an M1 Abrams tank, paint it in grass colors, park it in the middle of a field and expect it to be invisible from every vantage point. Trying to prevent a moving object, of appreciable size, being seen by multiple possible observers at a myriad of possible vantage points...it just beggars the imagination.

5. Karl Jeffers

Karl Jeffers New Member

Those are really great points, explaining quite well why the concept currently appears to be impossible, seeming to be out of grasp of the current technology, giving the impression of something impossible and seemingly unobtainable.

But as everybody knows, many things have been thought impossible by many people, educated and ignorant, enlightened and dark, optimists and pessimists, but who ever the were, they were and still are rigid minded individuals who have a distinct dislike of everything new and unfamiliar, enjoying to take a piss at somebody who dares to think differently from them.

I willing to wager anything that the first hominid that had tried to tame fire got burned not only by the fire, but also by the scolding attitude of naysayers, overly skeptical individuals that can't even stand a thought of something new and different from what they already know and does not fit their existing frame of refference. But ask yourself - where would you be now without fire, where would you be now without the wheel, where would you be now without antibiotics, where would you be without all the things that were brought forth by the same visionaries who, in many instances, received nothing but contempt, ridicule ,and scorn just for their desire to dream and to envision a better world.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    6. nich

nich Active Member

One of the test method to create invisible stream

Apparatus

1. High pressure pump
      2. A pipe (flexible type)
      3. A nozzle
      4. A coupler (to connect pipe to nozzle
      5. Clean water
      6. Barometer (connected to pipe)
      Procedure:

In house test method:

Connect high pressure pump to nozzle via pipe and coupler, set the pressure at 6 - 8 bar.
      Make a high pressure water stream through nozzle
      Direct the stream to the next wall of the lab (make sure the doors and windows are closed and no vents are installed in the lab)
      Allow stream to flow for 36.4 seconds
      Turn off the lights in the lab

Result

The invisible jet now created and can be verified by a pressure sensor (flat type)

NB : Patent pending

7. Airman

Airman Member

Optochemistry

One way of achieving this is by digging into optochemistry (coined by me).
      We know from Physics that an object is visible when light bounces off their surfaces. There is possibility of synthesizing chemicals whose valence electrons occupy higher energy levels when in contact with visible light.