• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Radome materials

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

How are you making out with this?

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

UV resistant sheet materials in the thickness I want are a nightmare to get hold of (unless I want to buy 1 tonne fo £3k+). Found an antenna manufacturer in China who can sort me out at sane prices and volumes forunately. Everyone's using high impact ABS for low-cost radomes, apparently.

4. bluerover

bluerover Member

If you are looking for an aircraft radome -40 is not low enough

5. gary259

gary259 Member

Hi, I worked with several antenna companies in the UK from 1994 to 2004 working on mobile phone base station antennas for PCN, GSM, UMTS & 3G networks. After much trial & testing we settled on Shell (now Nova) STYROSUN for both extruded & vac-formed radome covers.

STYROSUN is an outdoor weatherable styrene polymer which combines high impact strength, durability, toughness, ease of processing and outdoor weatherability in a cost effective polymer.

It is readily extruded in flat sheets of numerous thicknesses.

This material proved to be almost RF transparent for our applications which had a cover thickness of about 3mm.

There are numerous data sheets on the web.

Regards

6. antennaplans

antennaplans New Member