• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Ravigneaux Gear planning

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by Philip_Il, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Philip_Il

Philip_Il New Member

Hi hope someone here can help me or at least guide me to a sensible approach to calculating this problem I have.

I need to calculate a Ravigneaux Gear I'm aiming to get 4 gears + reverse with the following ratios:
      1st gear: 3.00 ratio
      2nd gear: 1.67 ratio
      3rd gear: 1.00 ratio
      4th gear: 0.75 ratio
      Reverse gear: (-3.00) ratio.

I tried using the formulas from this page: https://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/sdl/ref/ravigneauxgear.html
      but since it is based on radius and not teeth count I'm getting really confused.
      Anyone has experience with it and can help with a "best practice" for how to approach this issue?

Thanks!

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Do you know the method of superposition for gears?

It's a nice universal tool for evaluating planetary gear sets of all sorts. I cover it here: https://www.engineeringclicks.com/planetary-gears/ but it's not the best explanation, so you might have better luck Googling it.

For a simple Ravigneaux Gear (where the 'planetary gear 2', which sits between the large sun and ring gear is of a single size, and not differently sized where it encounters the other planet vs where it bridges the large sun and ring gear), the equations come out as follows:

Where the teeth of each gear are:
      Small sun: Z1
      Large sun: Z2
      Planet 1 (meshes with small sun): Z3
      Planet 2: Z4
      Ring Gear: Z5

Small sun: x+y
      Large Sun: x-(Z1/Z2)y
      Planet 1: x- (Z1/Z3)y
      Planet 2: x+(Z1/Z4)y
      Carrier: x
      Ring Gear: x+(Z1/Z5)y

For torque ratio, divide output by input, for speed, input by output

The fixed member will have 0 speed, so you can use it to get an equation between x and y and solve for your gear ratio.

For example, in first gear, the carrier is fixed. Carrier = x. So x=0
      Speed ratio is: Small sun/Ring Gear or:
      0+y/((0+Z1/Z5)y
      or just Z5/Z1

4. s.weinberg

Did some calculations, and you're going to have a real tough time making a Ravigneaux Gear with the ratios you want, unless you pull some tricks (like using different modules for the two halves of your gear train, requiring planet 2 to be 2 gears of different modules stuck together).

To get 3:1 gear ratio in 1st gear, the Ring gear has to be 3 times the small sun gear.
      To get -3:1 gear ratio in reverse, the Ring gear likewise has to be 3 times the large sun gear.
      Your 'large' and 'small' sun gears being of the same size makes this gear arrangement awkward to realize, at least simply

5. Philip_Il

Philip_Il New Member

Hi s.weinberg,

I must thank you for your organized and easy to understand method of calculating the gear ratios! It's amazing, made it so much easier to understand.
      2nd I see what you mean, I did get to that dead-end of Z1/Z2=1.

If I'd aim for an alternative design of 2 stages planetary gear, how would you recommend connecting those? The carrier as the output of the 1st set to the input sun of the 2nd set or is there a smarter way considering the predefined gear ratios?

6. s.weinberg

I'm not sure what you can lock, where you can connect your input and where you can connect your output. That defines how you can use any particular planetary set