• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Results you would like to have as a Mechanical Engineer.

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Tarmo, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Tarmo

Tarmo Member

When it comes to Mechanical Engineering...If you could wave a magic wand and have any result today, what would that be?

3. Dedeech

Dedeech Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Hi Tarmo. That is a really interesting question.

I would love to make a device or machine for teleportation :) The idea of visiting every place I would love to see, seems really gorgeous.

4. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Ah I wish. I am working on developing a code in matlab for space frames that finds the harmonic frequencies from 1Hz to 100Hz and then also plots the deformed structure.

My code generates the stiffness matrix and mass matrix for the elements properly and also assembles them in the global matrix. But when it solves the frequencies and the mode shapes don’t match results from NASTRAN.

I am such a dilemma I don’t know which part is wrong. The NASTRAN or the matlab. But then again I wouldn’t do Nastran wrong for such a simple problem. Have been stuck with it for hours and the results don’t seem to come any closer.

The surprising thing is the matrix formulation of the element stiffness and mass matrices are different in some of the books. Probably it depends on the method, like direct method etc.

But right now I am at a point where I don’t see a mistake in my code and my results still don’t match with NASTRAN / PATRAN. Not just that, my stiffness matrix also does not match with NASTRAN / PATRAN.

And I wish I could just take a wand and make it all change, sigh.

5. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I'd create a material with the benefits of plastic (strong, light, cheap, waterproof) but without all of the downsides (lasts forever, ruins the environment etc.)

If that's not feasible then it would be great to start some kind of reusable system for containers to get rid of all single-use plastic. Something along the lines of returnable milk bottles that we used to see a lot when I was a kid.
      Everything would come in a standard-sized container that could just be returned and reused.

6. MSHOfficial

They already have those in Germany, you pay 25 euro cents per bottle as a borrowing money, and when you return it to the machine in a good state you get that 25 euro cents back. The machine sorts through the different types of bottles and segregates them, after a whole day of collection the bottles are sent over to be washed, disinfected and reused.

It works wonders. People always prefer using this, unless they want to keep the bottles. Because the drink itself costs much less than the bottle sometimes and most logical option would be to bring it back to the machine and get your money back.

Also if you throw your bottles in the garbage, some homeless guys come picking through the nights and get some money out of it. Its kinda a win win situation for all of them.

This technology does not take much to implement, just an extra machine the sorts and pays for the bottle. And they exist pretty much everywhere, every supermarket.

7. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Yeah, I've used those in Netherlands too. The first time my friend took this empty crate of beers back and got all this money it amazed me!

My parents still get milk delivered in reusable glass bottles. Everyone got it when I was a kid, but now it's only a few people on the street. It's like we're going backwards!

8. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I would like to make a car that will allow a person to visit other stars, the light of which we now see through a telescope after hundreds of light years.

9. MSHOfficial

Is there any theory in which you break down the mass of a being into energy particles, then sync it with a radiowave and transmit as radio wave. Thus, at the speed of light. That would be very nice way of travel. We might not get back the same being though because of sampling frequency and aliasing and errors in transmission. But if we figured a way to do so, inter planetary travel would be a piece of cake.

10. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

This is a temptation, but I do not think that it will work)
      First, the speed of light is too slow, the nearest habitable worlds are at a distance of 4.25 light years, this is a long way and if you want to send an email to Earth you will receive an answer after 8.5 years). Suppose you are a traveler and want to visit 5-6 worlds, this means that you will return to Earth at least in 60-70 years, by that time the whole world will change and all those you knew will die.
      Let's say it became possible and we are able to turn a person into energy, move him to another point and reassemble without errors. We are biological mechanisms and the personality of which we are is the result of the interaction of millions of nerve cells. When you transform into energy, this interaction ceases, you cease to exist. When you regain your body, you will not find the person you were, you will become a different person like you, you will have memories but you will not be the person you were before.
      Here I was thinking about something like a wormhole, the shortest path between two points is a point. Suppose we could create a mole hole at the point where we are located for a fraction of a microsecond. Since the hole exists outside of time, it would be enough for us to have the very fact of its creation for an infinitely small moment of time in order to be on the other side.
      Then for our life we could visit infinitely many worlds and bring this knowledge back to Earth.
      I really like the Stargate movie. A very interesting idea about the existence of a kind of gate that creates a wormhole and for traveling between worlds you need to know the position of two points, these are your gates and the coordinates of the gate at the other end.
      I really like the Stargate movie. A very interesting idea about the existence of a kind of gate that creates a wormhole and for traveling between worlds you need to know the position of two points, these are your gates and the coordinates of the gate at the other end.

11. MSHOfficial

Well if you make a worm hole and travel in space and you think time will not change that’s not going to work, because even though you will be travelling within one second everything else in this world and other world would infact see the same time span as it would for the longest distance. Then you would reach a world where everyone will still be 80 years older (not really 80 but you get the point).

This can be proven by space time diagram. That even if you do somehow fold the space time into a circle to go through a point. Everything else will still experience the same time effect as proper time, that is time in the fixed frame (or proper frame).