• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Seeking basic info on the difference between these hinge types

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by perfection, Jul 23, 2022.

1. perfection

perfection New Member

My request and associated question(s) are specifically directed to the use of these hinges in the lids of chafing dishes (chafers). Please correct my associated statements/facts too as i may have not got them bang on!

Hydraulic hinge
      it allows for a slow/soft close from an angle below 70 degrees and remains open above this - true or false?
      How is this made to work? (like auto door closers?)
      Videos show that such hinged lids may be lifted off the chafer and reinserted with ease

Baffle hinge
      How does this work?
      Comment from website: Removable cover with baffle; “stay put” hinge design holds cover in closed, 45°, or 90° position
      - If a guest opens the chafer lid beyond 45 degrees does the lid auto soft close to 45 degrees or right down to fully closed mode?
      - If a guest opens the chafer to lower than 45 degrees does the the lid will auto soft close to fully closed position?
      - Does the lid auto drop downward from 90 or 45 degrees or does one have to nudge-push it downward or does one need to guide it down fully and manually by hand?

Friction brake
      Comment from website: The lid is fitted with a friction brake, it stays in the position in which it is left.
      Is this a type of hinge?
      How does it work
      If a guest leaves it partially open it remains that way until someone pushes (forces) it down fully to close position (meaning it will not auto close)?

All-angle axle system
      Comment from website: All-angle axle system glides smoothly and allows covers to hold open at virtually any angle
      Is this a type of hinge?
      How does it work?

Any other possible mechanisms?

Any of the above overlap or are synonymous with one another, possibly being known by different terms in different parts of the world?

Thank you and i know i will require a very patient to member to deal with my query and perhaps follow up questions

Tags: